Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What do you communicate to your children?


Kids rock!  I enjoy serving them and being around them.  I love my children!  They are a blessing and joy!  Sadly not all children know this.  What do your children know? 

The other day I observed a mother who expressed to her children that they were a burden on her life.  I heard her refer to them as “stupid”, “idiots”, and “money suckers.”  There were other things she said but I will not repeat them.  This mother also didn’t seem to care that she was belittling her children in front of an audience.  These children were ages 4 and 6.  The children looked as though they just wanted love and affection from their mother but instead received aversion.  My heart broke for them and their mother. 
           
            As I reflected on what I saw and heard; I wondered what I communicate to my children.  I am very careful as a Dad to never say anything or do anything demeaning to my children even when I am angry with them.  But I am not perfect.  And it’s not just words that can communicate.  Not too long ago, I was home working.  Working required me to use my computer.  If you ever watch me work, I am intense and focused...most of the time.  My son Evan came to me, really wanting to show me something that was amazing and important to him.  He was excited!   But I was busy and had a deadline.  I told him not right now.  I said I would look at it later.  Later came and I didn’t see it.  I never followed through with him.   Evan wanted to show me something and instead I showed Evan that what I was doing was more important than him.  

            If we are not careful, we become no different than that mother.  Do our children come and seek love and affection from us and receive the opposite? I am guilty!  I have had to ask my children for their forgiveness.  I remember on a couple of occasions telling Evan how sorry I was and he looked right at me and said, “Daddy I love you and remember only Jesus is perfect.”  Thanks buddy! 

Children are NEVER a burden.  They are always important.  Psalms 127: 3 tells us that, “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.”  Jesus’ Apostles at one point thought that children were being a burden but Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”  (Matthew 19:14).  Children need to know that we love them and have heart for them.  Not only by what we say to them but how we show it to them. 

            One day they will be grown and out of the house.  What will they have learned from us?  May the things you do and say be edifying to your children.  Love your children in accordance with 1 Corinthians 13:4-8.  Play with them, teach them, comfort them, laugh with them, love on them, and be a kid with them.   Kids Rock!

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment